When me and my wife lived in Cheyenne, WY on my way home I would give blood every 8 weeks becuase the blood service building was on my way home and I wanted to help out. After moving back to Utah I fell out of the habit of going to give blood. I would try went ever our church would have a blood drive but often it just wasn’t easy for me to make it so as it happened I wouldn’t make it out to give.
Than after about 8 years of missing giving blood I decided that enough was enough!! So a few months back I looked up the closest place that I could donate blood and found ARUP Blood services. I have been doing this for the last 24 weeks. I feel great that I am able to help people but then I wondered, is there other benefit to giving blood? Here is some of the things that I found.
- Men who donate blood are four times less likely to have a heart attack than men who do not donate blood.
- Donating blood gives you a “helper’s high,” and that’s good for your health. Studies show when a person helps another, the helper not only feels good, it is physically good for the helper’s body.
- It lowers the iron buildup in your blood. Men and postmenopausal women tend to accumulate iron in their blood, and several studies have shown this buildup may increase the risk of heart disease. Giving blood removes iron from your body.
- You instantly lose one pound. When you donate blood, you give one pint (16 ounces). Liquid measurements aren’t the same as weight measurements, but in this case, it’s close enough. I’m sure it takes more than a pound of your body’s resources to make a pint of blood.
- You get a free blood test, worth about $300. Before giving your blood to someone, blood banks obviously must test the blood for infectious diseases. If something is found, they will let you know (and the blood will not be used).
- Your body makes newer, more flexible blood cells to replace the ones you donated. More flexible blood cells fit through your small capillaries better, improving blood flow through your body.
So if you have about an hour to give then I challenge you to really give this holiday season and give a part of yourself!!
Other Blood Donation Stats:
- Nothing can replace blood. It cannot be manufactured. It can only come from blood donors.
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed each day.
- Less than 38 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to give blood.
- The average adult has ten pints of blood in her or his body. One pint is given during a donation.
- There are four kinds of “transfusable products” that can be derived from blood: red cells, plasma, platelets, and cryoprecipitate. Usually, two or three of these are produced from a pint of donated whole blood, so each donation can help save up to three lives.
- Start Now – Recommit today!
- Drink Water – This will help flush all the crap out
- Plan each meal – Fail to plan, Plan to fail
- Eat!! Your body needs food everyday even the day after over eating.
- Revisit your food journal
- Remind yourself how far you have come
- Move – Get the endorphins flowing
- Don’t let a bad day turn into a bad week.
- Vegetables – low calories and it will fill you up!
- Rinse and repeat
So this afternoon I will be headed to the in-laws to partake of some delicious food but how do we keep from over eating? Here are some tips that hopefully help you not blow the past weeks of working out.
1. Drink water throughout the day, and before you eat dinner. This will help the body realize that it is full.
2. Time yourself and wait 20 minutes before you go back for seconds. The body takes 15-20 minutes to realize that you are full.
3. Eat a salad and I don’t mean a fruit salad with yogurt. I mean a green salad with lots of veggies.
4. Drink a Shakeology a half an hour before dinner. Shakeology is low calorie and has things like Chia seed that will help fill the stomach, plus it will help you get your daily vitamins.
5. Plan, plan, plan and be mindful. Like I said if you fail to plan, you plan to fail but you still need to watch what you are snacking on as a handful here and there easily becomes 600-700 calories!!
What tips do you have that is going to keep you from over eating today?
Now is the time to give something that will last, now is the time to give someone back their life! Who knew that you could put a dollar amount on someones life?
Order link will not be active until Friday November 23 at 9 AM PST/Noon EST.
To order click here: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/holidayoffer?referringRepId=96438
BeachBody is at it again. Another great deal on one of their fantastic programs and just in time for Holidays!! But this is a limited time offer!!
This is a perfect program for those that don’t know where to start. Debbie Siebers combines intense cardio with greater resistance to continue slimming and toning your body. Usually $60 only $30 right now!!
Not convinced look what it has done for others: